Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My Top 5 Things: Scripture Heroes

This is post one of a series of 5 posts I wanted to do about the Top 5 things I learned on my mission as my mission is winding down. So here we go!!!

Number 5 is....

SOME OF THE COOLEST PEOPLE IN THE SCRIPTURES 
AREN'T TALKED ABOUT ENOUGH... 
SO READ YOUR SCRIPTURES AND DISCOVER THEM FOR YOURSELF!!


Okay, we all have our scripture heroes, there are classic ones such as Adam, Noah, Esther, Moses, Nephi, Captain Moroni, Helaman... These are ones we talk about a lot and learn about all the time. Well, I have learned there are many people we don't focus on very much that are there, but we barely speak of. How did I come to this conclusion?

I decided to read the Old Testament earlier in my mission. My goal was to finish by the time I got home, but let's just say... That isn't going to happen. Why? I got stuck. No, not because I didn't know what was going on, but because I started reading about Joshua. I had always heard about the Battle of Jericho, which is an amazing story with so much symbolism in our lives today as we are having to bring down the walls of sin and temptation around us to defeat the adversary. I never knew other accomplishments he had though.

  • Joshua parted the Jordan River and left 12 stones to commemorate it.
  • Joshua destroyed many cities and delivered the children of Israel to the Promised land.
  • Joshua had the faith to make the sun and moon stand still so that they could win their battle.
  • Joshua was constantly told to fear not, to be strong and of a good courage, but he never let any amount of fear stand in his way from accomplishing what the Lord commanded him. 
  • Most of all, Joshua always turned to the Lord no matter what and followed every prompting with exactness.



Joshua is my hero. I know he isn't perfect. He definitely had to learn to handle fears and trials. He had to deal with a lot, but he did what he was asked and thanked and turned to the Lord in all things. He was humble and a great example. I want to be like him and follow the example of Joshua so that I can win the battles I am sent forth to fight here in this life by turning to my Savior and my Father in Heaven in all things.

I know that the scriptures can open our eyes to all the things of the Lord and we can read and learn from the people within their pages.

Now what else do I have for your... This list is....

TO BE CONTINUED!

I love you all!
Love,
Sister Mackenzie Esmond

No comments:

Post a Comment