Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Top 5 Things: Catching Lemons

So far, I've told you the Top 5 and Top 4 things I have learned on my mission. Let's review...

Number 5! Some of the coolest people in the scriptures aren't talked about enough... So read your scriptures and discover them for yourself.

Number 4! The best thing we can do is to make sure we are listening to the spirit so that we can be instruments in the hand of our Father in Heaven.

Now onto number 3!!!!

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS, LAUGH, TAKE 'EM, AND LEARN
YOU CAN CATCH THEM.

So over there is life throwing lemons at you... Seems mean of Life, doesn't it? Well, I have learned so much about how these Lemons are a lot smaller than us and we are completely capable of overcoming them. Even when life is pelting them at us, yes, we may get a couple bruises. Lemons aren't going to kill us though.

What are thses "lemons" I speak of? Trials in our lives that seem to keep coming and don't stop. I look back at my mission and see times when I felt pelted and bruised by the lemons that I was being thrown. It's not fun. When I was companions with Sister Remington though... I began to see these lemons differently.


Okay, Sister Remington and I had the worst luck ever. Horrible. Seriously, between food poisoning, the flu, being put on bike in 110 degree weather, popped bike tires, broken bike seats, losing things that "got up and danced away", and many other mishaps, we had the worst luck. But among all of that... We never stopped laughing. Each new challenge was faced with vigor and knowing it was "just our luck." Those 3 months could have been miserable, easily. We could have just had the worst time. But what did Sister Remington and I do? We chose to catch the lemons, laugh, and face these all head on. We choose happiness.

Yes, being happy is a choice. Often times we think that it is something that happens when we have enough money or someone is being nice or life is going well. Truth be told, we can be happy in the midst of all our trials. It is our choice.

How do we choose happiness? We choose it by knowing that we have a Savior, Jesus Christ, who has sufferred through our trials already. We choose it by turning to Him instead of looking within ourselves to solve our problems. We choose it through knowing that "It's all going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end." (Jeffery R. Holland) We can "with surety hope for a better world" (Ether 12:4).

I promise that no matter how many times your tires pop or you get sick or the world just seems like it is going to explode, you can still be happy. Catch those lemons and laugh, because with your Savior, you can conquer all!

Until Next Time!

TO BE CONTINUED...

I love you all!
Love,
Sister Mackenzie Esmond

No comments:

Post a Comment